Ellis Island Hospital Complex
Ellis Island’s south side houses its hospital complex and contagious disease wards.
While Ellis Island served as the primary immigration station for the United States, sick, mentally ill or pregnant immigrants were not permitted to enter the country. Those who arrived in need of care, including those first- and second-class passengers who normally would not have gone through Ellis Island, were detained on the south side for medical attention.
The 29 structures on the south side are in severe states of decay and have been empty and abandoned since 1954. Stabilization funds to save these buildings have been secured from the United States Congress, the State of New Jersey, and the National Park Service. The south side hospital and administration buildings now have been stabilized and work on the stabilization of the contagious disease wards is underway.
From 1892 to 1954, over 12 million immigrants entered USA through the portal of Ellis Island in New York Harbor
We are part of America's story
Ellis Island tells the story of the journey of millions of men, women and children from around the world who sought a new future on these shores.
Walking around these buildings we're not just talking about history-visitors are able to touch, feel, and understand in a way that connects them to the past. As we rebuild parts of Ellis Island, we are rebuilding its legacy and revitalizing living landmarks to a world gone by. Save Ellis Island is working to create a destination that echoes the beacon of hope that it once was for nearly twelve million immigrants and continues to be for the nearly two million visitors each year.
The Save Ellis Island website is made possible by a generous donation from Heidi Liebi Root in memory of her father Fred Liebi